Fracture Treatment in Sydney
Dr Sunny Randhawa provides treatment for all types of bone fractures
What is a Fracture?
A fracture can be a partial or complete break of the bone. Dr Sunny Rundhawa will diagnose, discuss and deliver the best care, no matter what the fracture type, location or severity.
Signs and symptoms of a fracture may include:
- Swelling or bruising over a bone
- Deformity of an arm or leg
- Pain in the injured area that worsens when moved or pressure is applied
- Loss of function in the injured area
- In compound fractures, bone protruding from the skin
A fracture can occur after a fall, impact injury or accident. Bones are rigid but have some give to them and when an applied force is too great for the bone it results in a break or fracture.
- Stable fracture – the broken ends of the bone line up and are barely out of place
- Open, compound fracture – the skin may be pierced by the bone
- Transverse fracture – a horizontal fracture line
- Oblique fracture – an angled fracture line
- Comminuted fracture – the bone shatters into three or more pieces
Conditions we can treat
- Fracture non-unions – fracture that has failed to heal
- Delayed unions – bones slow to heal
- Malunited fractures – bone that is not healing straight
- Osteomyelitis – infected fracture
- Stress fractures
- Fragility fractures – due to ageing or osteoporosis
- Insufficiency fractures – due to weak bones
Whilst some fractures may require little medical attention, other than protecting the damaged area to aid the healing process, others may need more complex treatment programs.
If you suspect a fracture you should seek immediate medical attention. Treatments may include using a cast to protect and immobilise your bone, or surgery to realign and fix the fracture.
Dr Randhawa can diagnose and advise through the whole treatment process. Contact us to discuss further.
Treatment Options for Inter-Trochanteric Fracture of Proximal Femur (hip fracture)
- Intra-medullary nail
- Proximal femoral plate
- Dynamic hip screw (DHS) & plate
- Blade plate